David Powlison’s list of questions (plus few of my own) in Seeing With New Eyes are good for a test on our lives to help us identify idols.
- What do I worry about most?
- What, if I failed or lost it, would cause me to feel that I did not even want to live?
- What do I use to comfort myself when things go bad or get difficult?
- What do I do to cope? What are my release valves? What do I do to feel better?
- What preoccupies me? What do I daydream about?
- What makes me feel the most self-worth? Of what am I the proudest? For what do I want to be known?
- What do I lead with in conversations?
- Early on what do I want to make sure that people know about me?
- What prayer, unanswered, would make me seriously think about turning away from God?
- What do I really want and expect out of life? What would really make me happy?
- What is my hope for the future?
- What do you blog, tweet or post the most about on social networks?
- What are your close friends top focus, and what do you talk about often when you meet them?
- What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think about “success”?
- What would you do with the money, if you won a million dollar lottery?
Jonah 2:8 “Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs.”
Source : Grace Online Library